Week 7 Story: Revenge of the Shark Pack

Not long ago, a pack of sharks were gathering together just off the shore of an island called Humanland. They were swimming together and eating together when all of the sudden a boat of humans floated by. Some of the humans, along with the ruler, Michael, hunted them for dinner that night.

The sharks were petrified!! The leader, the Great Alexander, the biggest shark in the pack, spoke up and said, "We need to avenge our friends! They cannot attack us like this and get away with it." So the Great Alexander concocted a plan to use their friend, Daphne the dolphin, to lure the humans into the water and then they would finish the job...

On the first day, Daphne swam close to the shore, showed off her majestic features, and sang many songs, but not a single human noticed her beauty. 

On the second day, Daphne jumped out of the water in an attempt to get the humans to notice her, but still, nobody paid attention to her. 

Finally, on the third day, Daphne swam as close to the shore as she could and did many flips and spins and tricks. A crowd of humans gathered on the beach to watch Daphne show off. When Michael heard of the amusing chaos, he called for a boat to take him into the ocean so that he could get a closer look at Daphne's talent. 

As Michael's crew managed the boat, Daphne lured them farther and farther away from shore. 

When the boat was far enough from the shore, the sharks tipped it over and avenged their lost friends by eating Michael and the boat crew since the humans ate their shark friends nights before. As the humans were being eaten, Michael's last words were, "ohhhh the irony...." and then, just like that, he was gone. 

The humans that stayed on shore wondered and pondered what happened to their king and his crew, but they never suspected that the sharks had anything to do with it. With their ruler gone, they moved on with their lives and decided to stay away from the ocean. 


Bibliography: Of the Pretty Stranger Who Killed the King by Elphinstine Dayrell

Author's Note:
This story was taken from "Of the Pretty Stranger Who Killed the King" in the African Nigeria Unit. In the original story, a nearby town hated the king of the neighboring town because he was evil. They sent a shape shifting witch to seduce and kill the king so that they could be rid of his ruthlessness. I used a similar plot, but I used an ocean view because in a sense, humans are ruthless hunters and do not see the harm in killing animals in the ocean. The sharks retaliated and got revenge by attacking the humans. I used the dolphin as the witch that played the key role in killing the king/leader. I also used the irony that the king and the humans ate the sharks, and the king's life ended because he was eaten by the sharks.  

Comments

  1. Hey Caitlin! I loved reading your story and learned a lot about a subject I didn't know anything about beforehand. I think you're a natural storyteller; reading through your post was a breeze and I was engaged the entire time. Why do you think the original story is so relatable to a situation like the one you wrote about? It's clear the theme is still applicable to a lot of aspects of society today. Other than a few grammar mistakes here and there, I don't really have a ton to nitpick! Great job, can't wait to read more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin!

    I really liked your use of symbolism and irony, as I feel that those literary devices added depth to you story. Your story was very easy to follow and I did not really see any typos. I like how you made sure the paragraph were not to big and wordy. Sometimes when I see big paragraphs, I am tempted to skim through them rather than ready them as a whole. Additionally, the format of the story was very pleasing to my eyes at it appeared neat. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caitlin!

    I really liked reading your story! I haven't read the original story so when I finally read your author's note and you explained it, I was able to make the connection to your story. I think it's cool how you used sharks as your main characters in this. Also as how Jessica mentioned above me, I like the use of irony in this story. The first one I noticed was when the sharks asked the Dolphin for help because in real life sharks eat dolphins so I can't imagine them being friends. I think that was a nice touch to your story! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caitlin! I really enjoyed your reteling of this story! After reading your author's note, I realized that the original story was about humans, which made me realize how truly creative this story was. Making the group that attacked the king a group of predatory sharks added something to the story that made it really enjoyable to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caitlin! Me again!

    I really enjoyed reading this story, especially the bits of humor in it! My favorite part was, "ohhhh the irony...." ha ha! I didn't realize how different your story was from the original until I read the author's note. Your retelling of it is so creative! And I like the hidden message about the wrongfulness of hunting animals in the ocean. How can the humans be surprised that the sharks attacked them when they just attacked the sharks?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to the Future Doctor

Week 5 Story: Karma