Feedback Thoughts

The article Why It’s So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback dives into the fact that most people can feel negative feedback approaching and then take it in a paralyzing manner instead of transforming the energy into a motivational mechanism. It was stated that people avoid delivering and receiving negative feedback because they're avoiding what would make them better at work and life. The article really focuses on helping the readers understand that giving and receiving negative feedback is a way to grow as a person, not something that needs to be feared. Speaking from my point of view--I might be biased towards myself--but I feel like I take negative feedback in a paralyzing manner, but I eventually take that anxiety and turn it into something useful. I do like constructive criticism because it only helps me build on the progress that I have already made, whether that is at work, school, or just life advice.

I have always believed that I was a perfectionist and the article 6 Hidden Downsides of Perfectionism proved me right. Some of the issues mentioned do not affect me, but I for sure have stimuli sensitivity and feel like I need to be by myself or in a quiet room in order to feel productive. The next issue mentions deep seated unhappiness and I would not say I ever feel unhappy with myself, but I do feel unhappy with my strategies in assignments or the assignment itself. I feel like I need to get every single thing right and have it done correctly or I am not successful. I also have difficulty in letting ago of mistakes; I am very hard on myself if I do not do well in a class or on a test. I see myself as a perfectionist, but I also see myself having a growth mindset. I take my mistakes and I do my best to turn them around into something better.

I appreciate feedback and I tend to take in positive feedback better than the negative, as does anyone. I always say that things can improve and I love when I know exactly what I can do to improve rather than trying to figure it out for myself. If there was no feedback, I would never know what to adjust. From a personal experience, I love talking to professors after tests or assignments to see what I missed, why I missed it, and how I can study to improve the skills pertaining to the question missed. I absorb that feedback (from a professor or a classmate) and use it to improve my learning for the next time. For work, I am a cheer camp instructor and after each camp, the coaches of the teams that I help send in a survey that pretty much grades how well I have done my job. I take in what those coaches say, so I can adjust my teaching methods or enthusiasm tactics as camps go on. There are times when I have lagged in my explanations and I took that as a challenge to practice how I can explain certain stunts to the young athletes I work with. Feedback is important and whether it is positive or negative, it can be used to motivate and improve.

Feedback meme using Buddy 
the Elf from Meme Generator




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to the Future Doctor

Week 5 Story: Karma